Wednesday, September 09, 2020

Projects Done

 Busy day today.

Got that leaky toilet fixed.  Of course, it took three trips to the hardware store.  The last trip to Coburn's a local plumbing supply house.  One of these days I'm going to learn to drive the extra three miles to Coburn's and be done with it.

Shortly after Hurricane Laura, the ice maker in the house took a dump.  I realize that having ice on demand is a rich man's problem, but I like having ice on demand. Appliance Parts in Alexandria took care of that, a one stop shop for all your appliance needs.

Tomorrow, I set up the generator.  During the aftermath of Laura, we ordered a generator that should power the shop, where  we can access everything we need during a disaster.  I plan to use the 240v plug on it to power the shop.  I'll run it outdoors, of course, but have a male plug hardwired into the main breaker panel.  Then, when disaster strikes, I'll turn off the main breaker to the grid, power up the generator, and plug the shop into it.  It will power lights and A/C, and keep the refrigerators running.

We won't be as comfortable as we might be in the house, but we'll be a whole lot more comfortable that we were during Hurricane Laura. We can thrown an air mattress  on the floor and sleep cool, at least.

Belle says that the way 2020 is going, we're bound to have an ice storm in December.  I can keep the shop warm, that isn't an issue.

The finger is fine.  The doc gave me some percoset, and I haven't taken one yet.   I'll flush them in another couple of days.

2 comments:

Termite said...

I know that you know to turn the main breaker off before plugging in your genny, but you'll make the CLECO linemen feel a whole lot better if you install a 3-position lockable disconnect between the meter base and the main breaker to your shop.

Up = grid
middle = OFF
down = genny in


Just sayin'........

Sabre22 said...

Just an observation. I too have done the three trip boogie when doing household repairs. Since I am new at this, apparently there is a rule somewhere that you must make three trips (at least) to complete a household repair.