Saturday, December 30, 2017

Questions

Allen asks in comment:
Are you required to GFCI all the outlet circuits? 
Yep!  I have one of those installed in the first outlet of every circuit.  Surprisingly, the air conditioners came with GFCI heads already installed on the plugs.  But, yeah, it's required by code.
 I'm assuming all the outlets are on 20 amp circuits. Did you put in any 30 amp 24 and 60 amp 240 circuits to accommodate future heavier equipment (air compressor, welder, etc.)
All the outlets are on 20 amp circuits, and the outlets themselves are 20 amp.  The AC units required a 20 amp 240v circuit and I have two of them installed.  Each AC unit on it's own circuit. 

You're not the first person to ask about a welder, and that amazes me for several reasons.  First, I don't weld.  Never have, never learned.  And, with the eye problems I've been diagnosed with, welding isn't in my future.  However, two of my three sons weld, and they have these amazing little MIG/TIG welders (one's a Miller, one's a Lincoln) that they run on standard 110v, 20 amp circuits.  But no, I'm not a welder and ever will be.  My air compressor is a little Harbor Freight unit that runs on standard household current. 
 You have air conditioners, any provision for a large wall fan? On low it can exhaust gunsmoke, on high move enough air for cooling.
We talked about exhaust fans today, during our lunch break.    Some sort of exhaust fan is in the works, but I haven't figured out the details.   I have plenty of breaker capacity in the panel in case I want to install circuits later, but right now I think I'm good.

2 comments:

Alien said...

RE: daisy chaining GFCI receptacles - easy to do, fully accepted by electrical code, saves money, works just like a GFCI breaker. It may work in a single-building wide open shop, but elsewhere not so much. Tripping the GFCI from one point means a journey to the control receptacle or electrical panel, and it shuts down whatever constant-on function is plugged into that circuit. I always spend the extra to GFCI every receptacle (in a multi-room house where one GFCI receptacle controls ALL the downstream receptacles that need GFCI protection it's a real PITA, especially when the new owners don't know where that one GFCI receptacle is.)

Side note: how many receptacles did you locate on the exterior of the building? It's handy to have power outside (not to mention exterior lighting), and any outside receptacles are best served by placing them on their own circuit.

Welding - you may not ever weld, but others (like your sons, as you pointed out) do, and there are a multitude of other equipment that use hi-amperage 240. It doesn't cost much to add a one-receptacle 60 amp circuit somewhere near the electrical panel and for that one time it's needed there's no substitute.

Pawpaw said...

Allen sez RE: daisy chaining GFCI receptacles - easy to do, fully accepted by electrical code, saves money...

Everything that I've read and been exposed to (including licensed electricians) says that daisy-chainng GFCI receptacles can be problematic, and the Code does NOT require it. Our local code requires a GFCI at the first receptacle of every run.

I don't see how they can possibly save me money,either. They're certainly more expensive up-front, and they wont draw any more Kwh than anything I might plug into any other outlet.

Some folks may want their project to have outlets ever two feet down the wall, multiple outdoor outlets, huge hulking 3-phase receptacles for huge equipment. I don't. I specifically do NOT want all that stuff in my project.

What I want, at this point, is the ability to flip a switch and turn on a light. Until the inspector passes installation, I don't have the ability to do that.