Friday, April 04, 2014

Casting Bullets

I've been casting bullets for over 20 years, for both rifle and pistol, and I know my way around a casting pot, although I admit that I don't know a lot about the subject.  I'm barely literate in alloying metal, and I'm pretty good at making pistol bullets.  If anyone ever tells you that he knows everything there is to know about rifle bullets, he's an arrogant bastard, because there are lots of questions still to answer about how a particular alloy works as it travels down a rifle bore.

Second son brought me some 9mm bullets tonight and told me he had cast his first bullets during the afternoon.  He brought me culls, but I told him that I'd lube them and shoot them.  A few wrinkles on the nose, but the driving band is filled out and nicely sharp.  The bases look good, and (after all) they're pistol bullets.

It's a helluva hobby, and I'm glad he's taking it up.  There is nothing more satisfying than shooting a nice, tight group with bullets you made yourself.  That's two sons I have now that are melting their lead and turning scrap into something useful. 

1 comment:

pjk said...

Some support for your "Milady" decision in favor of a .32:

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/article/20140404/PROGRESS01/304040026/Autauga-homeowner-shoots-kills-intruder