Saturday, March 24, 2012

Five years

Five years ago, I bought a ring for Milady, and because it was my sister's birthday and she happened to be with me, I bought a ring for her as well. While I was there, I bought a pistol, a Ruger Mark II.


My sister bought a set of Victorian chairs at the shop, so the pawnbroker did very well that day.

Late that night, or early the next morning depending on whose clock you were watching, my father passed away. I've always thought that Dad didn't want to die on my sister's birthday, and he didn't want to die on my wife's birthday, so he split the difference, leaving sometime around midnight.

I've still got the pistol and I'd bet my sister still has the ring, but I'd trade them both for one more cup of coffee with the Old Man. Has it been five years?

3 comments:

Old NFO said...

Losses like that are never forgotten... RIP sir, RIP!

Anonymous said...

Yep - it's been five years. I hadn't thought about the date but the first thing I thought when I woke up this morning was today was the date Daddy died.

Patty

Hobie said...

You never forget your dad. It has been almost 13 years since my dad passed. I think about him every day.