Monday, March 08, 2010

Speedloaders

Back when I was carrying a revolver on duty I carried speedloaders on my belt. Two HKS Model 10 speedloaders in a black leather basketweave case. Then about six years ago I started carrying a 1911 and the speedloader case came off the belt and a magazine pouch went on the belt. Then the agency bought a bunch of S&W M&P pistols and gave us a compete rig. The old belt got stripped and stored.

Like most gunnies and pistoleros, I've got a stash of old holsters. Some of them are very good and others... well, lets be charitable and say that time and hard use have caught up with them. I've got one drawer in a filing cabinet filled with old leather and nylon holsters, radio cases, handcuff cases, all the paraphernalia.

I know that I own a speedloader case. With two HKS speedloaders in it. For the life of me I can't find that little black leather case. I've emptied that filing cabinet. Three times. I've gotten out the ladder and looked on top of cabinets and closet shelves. I've re-arranged the closet and taken out all the spare coat hangers. I've plundered drawers and torn the house apart.

I don't know where in the hell those speedloaders went. Or where they're hiding. Not a clue, can't find them.

So, I did what any good cop will do when he's looking for something. I ordered new ones. Tomorrow, MidSouth will dutifully fill my order and send me an email telling me that they've shipped. I'll get the email and smile with satisfaction. Then I'll get up from the computer table, trip over that speedloader case laying in the floor, and break my leg.

Ain't that the way it always happens?

4 comments:

The Displaced Louisiana Guy said...

I've got the old nylon case you carried back when you were P&P. It's in my holster bag. don't have the speed loaders, though. there's a 7-shot speed loader stuffed into it... Fits my Taurus. Thought you might like to know.

Termite said...

Here's to hoping you don't break your leg when you trip over it.

Anonymous said...

I've never been a Police Officer, but I have duplicates and triplicates of half or more of my shooty type goodies. I can see them in my mind's eye. I just can't seem to see where they are. So after two or three days of tearing the house to shreds, I,too order more. As soon as I press "Enter" whatever I wanted is immediately front and center with a smart alecky look on it's smarmy face.

For instance, although not shooty, I own at least seven perfectly good caulking guns, some over forty years old as well as at least fifteen packets of assorted Makita and Bosch saber saw blades.

Never fails.

Gerry N.

GunGeek said...

If it was in a filing cabinet, look in each lower drawer and then under the bottom drawer.

I've found that small objects have a tendency to go over the wall, so to speak, and end up succumbing to gravity.