Thursday, December 28, 2006

The One Question

Like Kevin, over at the Smallest Minority, I am unabashedly conservative and am becoming more libertarian as I mature. Kevin has done a wonderful job of preaching in the wilderness about individual rights and recently he penned a masterful piece about gun rights. I recommend it to you all.

In it, he asks the one question that everyone who advocates abrogating the 2nd Amendment should be forced to answer.
Can you demonstrate just one time, one place, throughout all of human history, where restricting the access of handheld weapons to the average person made them safer?
That question was originally asked by Joe Huffman with an open challenge to anyone who would like to take it. As far as I know, no one has answered it with a defensible YES answer.

Unfortunately, those people who would take your rights first try to take your guns. We've seen this repeatedly through human history. To subjugate a population, you must first make them unable to resist.

1 comment:

HollyB said...

Thanks for the inspiration, PawPaw. Have I mentioned that was my nickname for one of my granddaddys? Although I don't mean to imply you're old enough to be my g'dad. We're prob about the same age.
I blogged about the question and "Zero tolerance" y'day.
I credited you for the inspiration and Joe Huffman for creating the question. I don't plagiarize.
Thanks again.