Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Long days

I'm working a string of fifteen hour days, so blogging is suffering. So be it.

Duty first.

However, the electric stove posting below is drawing comments, so maybe here I can respond to some of them.

I'm an old-time camp cook, drawing from years of experience from fire and smoke and pots that hang on chains. My buddy Junior and I cooperate on a website known as The Frugal Outdoorsman. We post campfire recipes here. Junior runs another site dedicated to Mississippi River Delta Blues and he has a recipe section here. If you're looking for down-home recipes, those two sites are good places to start looking. My beans recipe is a variation on a theme that Junior started here.

Milady likes an electric cooktop and works her magic on it regularly, as does my Mother. I wouldn't dream of messing with her electric stove. If she likes it, I'll learn to live with it.

However, my gas burners are outside and when I build my shop (part five of a five part project. We are currently on part two.) there will be a gas stove in attendance out there. I can cook on gas when I want to, or I can stay inside and rant about the electric stove. Milady is used to my rants about electric stoves, and she isn't thrilled when she has to cook on my gas stoves. Marriage is all about a sense of humor and cooperation.

It's time to pull on my boots and get back to work. I'll check in later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My wife and I have finally found a house that we really like (we live in a trailer right now), and it has an outdoor shop. One of the first things I want to do if we get that home is run a gas line into the shop for an outdoor gas stove.

I have no problem cooking on electric, but it's always good to have another source to heat water and cook food. Especially around here with hurricanes.