Monday, March 13, 2006

Daffodils

I planted a host of daffodils last winter, near the lake spillway.

It's an area I don't generally mow, bordering the lake and adjacent to a parish road. I hoped the daffodils would provide a pleasing splash of color. I was right.



I didn't notice them till last week, when a buddy and I were fishing in the lake. It was pleasing to have flowers on the bank between us and the road.

I was reminded of the poem by Wordsworth.

When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze

Before many more days, probably sometime this week, I will have to start mowing grass in this part of Louisiana. The daffodils are safe from my mower. I have some red spider lillies planted there, but don't expect them to flower for another year.

It's almost springtime in Louisiana.

1 comment:

Pawpaw said...

Naw, Nick. Once every 10 days.

If you are a true gentleman, you will start the lawnmower for her.