Thursday, June 23, 2005

Watching grandkids

I finished digging the post holes for the fence project this morning, then got saddled in to watching grandkids till their dad gets off this afternoon. No problems there, as it is hot as hades outside, temps under my back porch, in the shade are in the mid-90's. I'd just as soon sit in here and watch the kids as do anything.

I put a new rear sight on my 1911 last week. My particular version is a Kimber Custom. I like the pistol and I am impressed with the reliability of it. It feeds and shoots anything I stuff in the magazine, but it shoots them all about six inches low at 25 yards. As I am qualified with the pistol for duty use, I think it is important that it shoots where it looks. So, I wandered over to Brownell's with my credit card in hand, and bought a Novak adjustable sight.

When the sight came in, I mounted it myself. It is billed as a No Gunsmithing sight, but like most everything in the world, I needed to fit it to the slide. That took just a few minutes with a file, making the dovetail on the sight match the one on the slide. I haven't fired it yet, but it looks like the sight sits up just a bit higher than the factory one, so the point of impact should be a little higher than originally. Plus, it is adjustable, so I can correct it as needed.

I'll get out to the range next week, and set the sight for my duty ammo.

No comments: