Its Thursday morning and not much happening on PawPaw's acre. What's left of Edouard is dumping rain on east Texas. We're getting a bit here in central Louisiana and we needed it.
Belle is running errands. The dawg and I are out in the shop. Belle has been hungry for chicken pot pie and that is her recipe. She told me to take out some chicken thighs and she would make a pot pie when she finished her errands.
I'm thinking about the anniversary of 9/11. It's been 25 years.
Belle and I had been dating for eight months. I had worked a night shift at the Natchitoches Parish Detention Center, got off work at 5;00 am, went home and fell into bed. Shortly after 8:00 CDT the phone rang. it was a friend telling me to get up and turn on the TV.
I saw the North tower burning and thought "what the helll?", then watched the second plane hit the other tower. "That was no accident." I stumbled into the kitchen, put on a pot of coffee and spent the rest of the day curled up on the couch watching television. I had calls from friends and family and got no sleep that day. At 5:00 pm I reported back to work for another night shift, tired, grumpy and in no mood for standard inmate bullshit. The others on shift felt the same way. It was a quiet night.
Where were you when the world stopped turning?
5 comments:
At work, got a call from a former HMX-1 pilot who said we're being attacked, turn on the TV! I did much the same,
I was at work offshore. We had the US Coast Guard on board for an annual inspection.
Things were........interesting.
McCormick center in Chicago. Was at an expo, they had CNN on all the jumbo trons. I remember watching the 2nd plane hit and thinking OMG, if those building fall over, how many people will get hurt. I never imagined it falling into itself and imploding. That only happens when it's deliberate, done on purpose.
Oh...
Had talked to son night before and he was unhappy about going out of Logan the next day. Watched the second tower being hit and called his secretary. She didn't have his flight number of the plane. Did a
lot of pacing that day. Secretary called about 6:30pm to tell me that he was not on any of the flights and would be landing in New Orleans. Never so happy than to get his phone call about 9pm that night.
Driving to a friend's apartment on her day off to have breakfast. Tuned in to a radio show interviewing a guest and could tell something was off cuz the normally-sharp host wasn't tracking well at all. During the 30-minute drive, he never mentioned the incident. My employer of 19 years laid me off on 9/7 so I wasn't tracking too well, either. I think we forgot to eat breakfast.
Post a Comment