Monday, February 06, 2023

Feral Hogs

 Some folks are waking up to the fact that feral hogs are a problem.

I've known this for years.  Feral hogs have been a problem in Louisiana for years.  Hunting camps routinely shoot any pigs that they see, in an attempt to control the numbers.  Depending on what they have been eating, feral pig might be a fine meal.  The hogs we find in our piney woods normally eat a lot of pinecones, and they taste like pinecones.  I won't eat a piney-woods rooter.  If I wanted my meat to taste like turpentine, I'd use it as a baste.

The thing that most folks don't realize is that a big pig might be considered dangerous game.  A big pig will hurt you, given the opportunity.

Some folks might also wonder what the best caliber for big pig is.  While most deer-caliber cartridges are suitable, you want something that penetrates.  All that having been said, the biggest pig I ever took (he bottomed-out a 350 lb scale) was taken with one shot from a .22 LR.  It was a one-shot kill and the hardest part of that hunt was loading him in the truck.

I'm just sayin'.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

they kill people every year in the south...we get a few deaths here in TX from them...

Anonymous said...

Did you plan that take him with a 22, or was it unplanned?
I've read some stories of how tough pigs are - Lawdog has a funny one.
Jonathan

Old NFO said...

LOL, 'I' on the other hand, hit one in the head with a 30-30 and all I did was knock it out for about 30 seconds and piss it off, and put me up a tree!