Saturday, January 09, 2010

Bullets

I was piddling around on the bench today and I thought I'd play with the camera. What's a good subject for learning about macro photography? Bullets.



These are all .30 caliber jacketed bullets that I keep on the bench. From left to right; 125 grain Sierra Pro-Hunter, 130 grain Speer flat tip, 155 grain Hornady A-Max, 155 grain Sierra MatchKing (Palma), 165 grain Sierra GameKing, 168 grain HPBT (milsurp), and last, but certainly not least, 170 grain Remington Core-Lokt.

I like the way the short depth-of-field blurs out everything but the bullets.

4 comments:

J said...

With my camera, the bullets on each side would be leaning.

Anonymous said...

Auto focus needs some "sharp" feature to home-in on. Plastic tipped bullets and bullets with cannelures work well. Sierra Matchkings are tough. Your picture turned out fabulous.

-Joe

Windy Wilson said...

Who sells those milsurp 168 grain HPBT? How do you like them?

Pawpaw said...

Windy. I bought those at Widener's (if I remember correctly). The only problem with them is that the weight varies dramatically on them, sometimes as much as 2 grains. I bought 500 of them and sorted them on a scale, with like weights in zipper bags. They're fairly accurate bullets now that they're sorted by weight.