Saturday, August 26, 2006

Success!

Redfield rings came in today from Brownells, as the latest attempt to solve my scope mounting problem. The tech at Brownells and I decided to go with extended rings, which allow me to mount the scope farther back on the receiver for proper eye relief.



You can click on the photos for a larger size. Those are Leupold mounts, with Redfield extended rings, #47221. I got both the front and rear extended rings to make sure I had enough clearance to bring the scope back into proper relief. After mounting the scope I had my daughter measure the eye relief, and it is just under 3 1/2 inches from my spectacle lense to the scope. This should be sufficient to avoid getting whacked during recoil at the bench. I tend to hunker down over the rifle at the bench and my particular shooting style has the scope a wee bit farther from my eye during position shooting.

Because Blogger gives me two pictures per post, another one of the rifle with the scope mounted. I'm not sure I like that extended rear ring in conjuntion with the extended base. It may be too much of a good thing, or it may be just what the doctor ordered. We'll see. I may change my mind later, and try to get one standard base, with a standard rear ring. The appearance would be simpler, more elegant, although I needed that extended front ring.



Savage 110, .30-06, with Accutrigger. Weaver K6 scope, Leupold bases, Redfield rings. Now, to order brass and bullets and start working up loads. I'm looking forward to it.

1 comment:

El Capitan said...

Two pics? I just posted one with three pics. Hmm, maybe I better not say anything before Blogger "fixes things"