Tuesday, August 04, 2026

Cast Iron

 I love cast iron, cook on it every day. We have probably eight or nine skillets.

Several years ago I was at an auction and bought three cast iron skillets, simply because no one was bidding on them. One was a BSR one was a Lodge,  and the one on the bottom was unmarked.  I gave $20 for the stack. Got them home and understood why.  That bottom skillet was a disaster. Rusty, warped and pitted.  It looked like it was used as a dog bowl in someone's back yard.

I cleaned it up and seasoned it.  Began using it on those occasions where I would not normally use good cast iron. Highly acidic food with lots of seasoning, stiff like that.  And, like all my good cast iron, I treat it right. Clean it after every use, dry it over moderate heat, then re-season with good oil.  It still has its pits, it is still warped, but I noticed a week or so ago that Belle made corn bread in it. Today I used it to sauté highly seasoned shrimp in butter.

Then I realized that old pitted, warped dog skillet gets more use than my highly seasoned "good" skillets. When I'm doing something sketchy, it's the skillet I grab, because I can't hurt it.  And Belle's apt to grab it to make cornbread.

There is a metaphor for life in that skillet, if I can just figure it out.

3 comments:

  1. Because it 'works' and if you damage it, you're not worried about it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darned if I know what its metaphor in life is. But you have certainly given me something to think about. I'll get back to you when the coffee kicks in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:42 AM

    coming to mind straight away is the old & reliable "dance with the one who brung you". That old fry pan has overcome every challenge.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated. Don't freak out.