Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Run About, Scream and Shout

Like most of you, I'm watching the Ebola drama unfold in Texas, and also like many of you, I am not a healthcare professional, so I don't necessarily understand everything I'm reading.

If you've been exposed to Ebola, it's probably not a good idea to travel.  I've always thought that if you were sick, or coming down with something, it might be a good idea to stay home, to limit the number of people that you might expose to the disease.  Evidently, Duncan didn't think so when he flew to the US, nor did his nurses, one of which treated him in the hospital, then climbed on a plane to Cleveland.  She, of course, is now stricken with the disease, after exposing God-knows-how-many people to the virus.

I'm not in the panic stage, but we really don't know as much about this disease as we should, and we're learning more daily.  Today we learn that a Minnesota study just advised the CDC and WHO that Ebola might be transmitted by aerosols. (sneezing, coughing, etc).
The highly respected Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP) at the University of Minnesota just advised the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and World Health Organization (WHO) that “there is scientific and epidemiologic evidence that Ebola virus has the potential to be transmitted via infectious aerosol particles,” including exhaled breath. 
Isn't that reassuring, after being told for several days that it could only be transmitted by body fluids.

Our President, of course, is worried about us all.  He's cancelling a campaign trip to convene his cabinet to deal with this crisis.
Some analysts are suggesting, however, that the White House’s response to this crisis must account for political concerns.
Political concerns?  What political concerns?  Of course, political concerns are our President's answer to everything.   He's been wrong about everything else, he'll be wrong about this too.

Oh, the hell with it.  I'm going outside to get some fresh air and mow the grass.  At least that's productive.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Been smaller outbreaks from what I have read occurring since the mid 70s but not at this scale. Sometimes a disease can change. When the first nurse contracted it I thought there might me simpler ways for it to be transmitted. Aerosol would be at the top of that list. Hope they get a handle on it.

Ben

Peripatetic Engineer said...

Studies have shown that viruses can travel at least 6 feet in the air. It may be more but the study did not investigate longer distances. I have also read that the virus can live on a hard surface for "several hours". So, I believe that for all intents and purposes, we should consider ebola transmittable by air and not believe the CDC.

Termite said...

Pawpaw said: "Some analysts are suggesting, however, that the White House’s response to this crisis must account for political concerns."

The "black helicopter crowd" on the Internet is saying BHO wants to use the ebola "crisis" to declare martial law and suspend the fall elections.

lee woo said...

I can remember the frustration of not being able to talk. I knew what I wanted to say, but I could
not get the words out, so I would just scream. See the link below for more info.

#scream
www.matreyastudios.com

Cindy Dy said...

This is really interesting and knowledgeable. Thanks for sharing. I really appreciate it a lot. Please do more blogs in the future. Thank you and God bless to the blogger!

Rica
www.imarksweb.org

sarah lee said...

I really enjoyed reading your article. I found this as an informative and interesting post, so i think it is very useful and knowledgeable. I would like to thank you for the effort you have made in writing this article.


edupdf.org