Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Polling weirdness

There's a new poll out, the McClatchy-Marist poll released today shows that President Obama would beat Sarah Palin by five points in a hypothetical match-up. That's just weird.

Sarah Palin isn't a candidate. She hasn't announced her candidacy, it doesn't look like she's planning to run for president. She's just a private citizen, albeit a high-profile private citizen. Why they'd include her in a poll is beyond me, but there she is.
By a margin of 49 percent to 36 percent, voters said they definitely plan to vote against Obama, according to the poll. Independents by 53 percent to 28 percent said they definitely plan to vote against him.
But why Palin? She's not running, at least not right now?
By 52 percent to 38 percent, voters think he'll lose to the Republican nominee, whoever that is. Even among Democrats, 31 percent think the Republican nominee will win.

Based on the emails I've been getting from the 2012 Obama campaign, they're worried about funding.
The deadline we face in nine days is serious. It's the official FEC filing deadline, and it's not arbitrary -- it's built into our campaign's budget plan. It will determine what kinds of resources we can commit to which states as we expand our ground game.
They want me to kick in five bucks. Yeah, like that's going to happen.

1 comment:

Rich Jordan said...

"I'm sorry but I just can't afford to send a contribution to support the President's campaign. The Governor of Illinois, a member of the President's party, and the legislature, controlled by the President's party, passed this huge tax increase during the lame duck session after the last election. That more than offset what little increase the President's tax withholding changes were supposed to give me in take-home pay. While I still have a job I haven't had a raise in three years. And to be honest since I work for a small privately owned company that would be directly impacted by the "Buffet Rule" I'm less than sanguine about having that job for the long term. Food, gas, electricity, insurance, ALL of them cost more than just a few years ago. Effectively I'm making about 10% less in real terms than I was a few years ago. But the bills, fees, and taxes have all kept creeping up.

So you see, I really can't afford to support the President's re-election campaign."